Monday, August 31, 2009

INDIA - Mc Loed Ganj

Mc Loed Ganj, India
I finally left Rishikesh but not before doing a 2 day level 1 course in Reiki. To be honest I knew and know very little about Reiki. I had had one treatment in Brussels by a friend Gaelle, one treatment by a nice girl I met in Indonesia, Kristin and both aroused my interests further so I decided to have a treatment in Rishikesh, which I did. After so me consideration I decided to take part in this entry level 1 course. From what I understand Reiki primarily focuses on the body (as opposed to mind) and involves the healing of a person through using the hands and the energies of the universe. I know, sounds a bit far out, bare with me. Reiki aims to replenish the energy centers with new clean energy from the universe but also heal parts of the body (knee, back etc) wherever needed with new energy. Furthermore, practitioners can feel where treatment is needed with some receiving visualizations during the treatment that they can later explain to you what they saw and then you may discuss what the imagery or visions might mean to you. It does sound a bit all in the air I know but as I mentioned before I just want to have an open mind, see what's out there and try a few new things. Who knows from there.

Energy & The Chakras
I will try and explain how the body and its energies work with Reiki. I should also perhaps first mention that modern science is now just understanding and acknowledge the presence of energy within the body and the functions of these energy centers. The body has three energy channels running through it located along the spinal cord from the bottom of our spine to the top of our head. The right side is female, vitality, the left side male, mental force. The middle channel is the spiritual force. Energy is constantly passing through 7 energy centers (Chakras) of which there are seven.
The first, Root chakra, located at the perineum between the anus and balls for the guys and on the posterior side of the cervix for women. It’s connected to the grounded energy of mother nature and our physical life. The second chakra located at the bottom of the spine is concerned with our survival instincts, our libido and creativity. The third located opposite the navel is self-esteem/confidence, personal power and ego. These three chakras are all related to the body. The fourth chakra, the heart chakra is the crossroads or intersection between the three chakras below and the three chakras above that are in turn related to the mind. The heart chakra, being an important chakra relates to all our deep emotions such as love, compassion, envy, jealously etc and also your motivations and (private) agendas. Its w here we keep our wounds deeply buried ...but you know that ha-ha! The fifth chakra located behind the throat is ambition, choice (& why you make those choices), will power, communication, assertiveness. The sixth chakra, often referred to as the Third Eye lies just between your eye brows by the pineal gland. It is the zone of intelligence and intellect. The seventh chakra is intuition and any relationship or connection you might have with god or the universe. Reiki aims at replenishing the body with clean new energy and also balancing the chakras. (Second pic is a photo taken of someone’s energy aura and chakras).

So I did the course, I did find it interesting and on a subtle level I did feel changes taking place within me when I received the treatment and also when I gave it to another student. I had different sensations in my hands when I gave the treatment in different areas. I will def do self-practice with it (I have the technique forever now, we can all do this) and any friend that asks me. I might do level 2. don’t know yet but I am glad I did it. http://www.reiki-for-holistic-health.com/index.html

Tushita Buddhist Retreat
After my reiki in Rishikesh I took an awful bone shattering night bus toMc Loed Ganj, sometimes traveling at 20km/hr on the bumpiest of roads. I had bruises on my arse, didn't sleep a wink and worst of all I couldn't get to my supply of valium because my bag was packed away. Oh well... I got intoMc Loed Ganj the next morning at 6am. Had some breakfast, felt like crap and made my way to this retreat. It was a 10 day introductory course to Buddhism. Tushita, this Buddhist retreat I later found out is a world famous for its teachings of Tibetan Buddhism and meditation (http://www.tushita.info/). People just flew in for the cours e on a month’s holiday. A very serenely quiet and beautiful place, located some 2000ft at the foot of the Himalayas with cheeky monkeys in its trees. We all had food and accommodation provided, there were about 45 of us of which 80% where Israelis with a couple of Brits, Kiwis, Aussies US & EU people. It turned out to be a fantastic group of people.

I was always interested to learn more about Buddhism, more so than Hinduism or any other religion, purely because I thought they had some interesting philosophical views to life and how to live ones life and their authority on meditation. So I checked in, again another 10 days of silence but I guess I was used to that now after the Vipassana. I found out the course is split evenly between the teachings of the Buddhism and the practicing of different meditation techniques, which I found actually worked out well. A good mix. A high level view of the main subjects was taught. These subjects included the mind and how it works, suffering, impermanence, karma, re-birth, death, ethics and emptiness. Some of the subjects I found less interesting whereas others such as ethics, the mind and concentration, attachment & impermanence very were insightful.

Basically Buddhism is concerned with the scientific study of the mind and how it works both on a conscious and unconscious level. This study started some 2500 years ago when Siddharta Gautama, a man born in Nepal studied this and later gained enlightenment. (Buddhism is based on his 84,000 teachings during the 40years he taught). He also taught a very truthful philosophy of how to live a decent, happy and rewarding life. It's not a religion and there's no god, they believe in the laws of physics and nature. Its more science based on how the mind, planet, universe all works.

Psychology to date as I understand still has little understanding of how the mind actually works and the concept of who is I. It is predominantly concerned with how we deal with emotions and not on how the mind works. Science today however is now beginning to understand that there is more than we see including more dimensions (superstring theory -video). The concept of emptiness and Quantum Physics is the same.

Buddhism believes that "the ultimate truth is that everything is empty of existing independently. Nothing exists by itself or in a vacuum. Everything is interconnected and exists in dependence upon parts, labels, names, causes & conditions and perceiving consciousness".

The essence of Buddha's teaching is that suffering exists (sickness, depression, ignorance, greed, hatred, loneliness, stress, not getting what one wants or losing what one cherishes), that all sufferings have a cause and that the causes can be removed by following the ethics he describes along with concentration (meditation) he taught that in time leads to wisdom and enlightenment (intuitive awareness of reality, free of suffering and negative qualities). Looking more deeply into suffering and the causes we are taught that they lie within ourselves and not outside. What that implies is it’s not the other persons fault, or the situation or the object, it’s actually our reaction to it that causes our suffering, knowing that all things are impermanent. Its not saying don’t enjoy external sensory pleasures but just beware there temporary in nature so the less psychologically attached you are to them the less pain you'll experience if/when they go away. Capri Diem is still my motto!

The mind is non-physical in nature and yet it is intrinsically connected to the body by subtle physical energies which also control our movement and vital functions. This relationship helps explain why physical sickness and discomfort can affect our state of mind and conversely how mental attitudes can give rise to and heal physical problems. As you know yourself the mind is full of very momentary thoughts (mind chatter) and emotions, rising and passing all the time and that is partly why meditation is used. To observe, quieten and control the mind. We practiced many types of meditation such as guided meditation (the teacher talks you through a subject e.g. forgiveness), single-minded concentration (vipassana) and visualizations. So we have to begin by observing and knowing our own individual nature so we can solve our problems. That’s the headline summary I took from the course.

I must say from a learning, growth and healing perspective it was the most insightful and rewarding thing I have done since my travels began some 15 months ago! I took so much away such as the ethics and how to live right.

The concept of attachment and us creating suffering by being too attached to things, people or situations knowing they will change because there are in fact impermanent like everything of the planet (nature, weather, jobs, relationships etc). Attachment being "I want you to make me happy" Love being "I want you to be happy". Craving is us always wanting and aversion being all the things we don’t like, or at least in our current reality believe we don’t like. Slowly I notice when and how my mind reacts to situations, things, people positively, neutral or negatively. If you believe Buddhism it’s said the cause of both harmony and disharmony lies within us not outside, so this is like an exploration of ones mind and body to understand the reality of ones self. If I take anything from this course its the Ethics & Concentration and just try to live more in the now and be present and aware (mindful). If there's any wisdom to come I am sure it will come of its own accord :-).

Below I have copied a poem, Zoe a lovely Scottish girl in our course wrote and read out to us. I hope you like. I have also copied a piece of text from the forgiveness meditation. Almost all the class was in tears including me:-(. I've also added a small intro to meditation.

There is a highly recommended book by a young English woman of 20yrs from east London that goes to Tibet, ....and stays there a long time and ...well, just buy it ($20) and see (I did). It might waken something in you. "Reflections on a Mountain Lake" by Tenzin Palmo. I now know of other good books if your interested, also recommended is How to Meditate by Kathleen McDonald.

Zoe's Poem
Caught in the midst of this fake reality. Shading over lines that aren't really there. Whens there's not even comfort in finding a hard place. Look for something soft but its already changed, gone. The power of wisdom has crept over like a mist, Searching for the path, unsure of it's way. Swiftly there's a glimpse, then it's lost, then it's found.Unsure of when i'll next get to sit down....Now is found.

Forgiveness meditation (text taken from the spoken guided meditation in class)
With all my heart I forgive you for whatever you may have done, intentionally or unintentionally by your actions, words or thoughts that has caused me pain. I forgive you... and I ask that you forgive me for whatever I have done intentionally or unintentionally to you by my actions, my words or my thoughts. I ask your forgiveness. May you be happy free and joyful. May we both open our hearts and minds to meet in love and understanding. As we grow in wholeness together.

How to calm the mind
Sit cross legged on the floor or bed, you can put a cushion under your knees for support and you should put a cushion under your bum and try and straighten your back. Ideally by pushing your pelvis a little forward to help straighten your back. I've found that when I do find the right comfortable position gravity just helps me and my back sits on its vertebrate ok, at least for 15-20mins.

When comfy close your eyes and just breathe normally through your nose with your mouth closed. You should just try and focus your mind on your breath that’s all. At first it will probably be difficult; it was for me at the Vipassana. It took me three days to get a bit of a grip on my mind so that when a thought did pop up I would be aware and bring my concentration back on to my breath. And each time a thought pops up bring your concentration back to your breath. Thoughts & sensations continually rise and pass, none remain. At a later stage you will have more and more silence in your mind, it feels good, the silence I mean. You'll always have the odd random thought but less. On the practical side this will give you much better concentration at work for example and help you work more efficiently. Just do this concentration meditation, this breathing for 5-10 or 15mins a day. Morning is best (same place, same time). ...and when a stressy sitch comes just be quiet for a few moments with your breath then act upon it and not react if poss... .

Meditation upon opening the heart
We are not talking about the physical heart here by the way, you must have guesses it’s the heart chakra, the heart energy centre. Again start with 5mins of just concentrating on breathing through your nose, and then take a deep breath into your upper chest, filling the whole cavity with air. When it’s full your breath will naturally pause for a second. At that point, take your attention inside to the middle of your chest, in the area of your heart. The wait a moment. As you do so, deeply ask to grow. Repeat this process. At first it might feel tight but later you might feel a subtle vibration and quiet sweetness - it will expand. Be aware of any relaxation and well being you feel too. It will feel deeper later because what you nurture grows (both happy and sad). This is the basic meditation for opening up your heart. I wonder if you'll see any changes in your life (or more importantly in your mental attitude and ability to concentrate).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All things are impermanent
They arise and they pass away.
To live in harmony with this truth
brings great happiness.

Hi Luke. I am happy you are exploring Buddhism.
I'm going to see the Dalai Lama spek in New York on October 4th and Thich Naht Hanh on October 10th.
I hope you are well. Have fun -Peter

The Farm said...

Hi Luke :)

Awesome to read your blog. Your notes on the days at Tushita brought back so many wonderful memories.

Thinking of doing the dinner dishes always makes me smile. I wrote in my book that I would always remember you for your sense of humour that was so apparent even in the silence :)

Hope you have a super time in Leh and looking forward to reading about Katmandu :)

Lots of happiness!

Shalini

home said...

hey from israel :)

hey luke how you doing?
finely got to see your blog, i was so impressed with it and just kept on reading.. i realy apreshiate (probebly wrong spelling) the sharing.
so how was ladakh? and how was thw day at tenzin palmo's house? have you been to the dalai lama's teachings? hope you enjoy your time and promise to uploud the pictures soon, maybe even try to do it by my self..
big hug! noa