Tuesday, July 7, 2009

SINGAPORE

SINGAPORE
I was so lucky, again using intentional thought i managed to get a bed where there wasn't one on the sleeper train from KL to Singers. A very smooth journey, leaving one modern city and entering another very super high tech city. In fact Singapore the country is actually Singapore the city. Same Same. There is no difference in geography or size. That is how small Singapore is, but size takes nothing a way from its economic clout as a very important financial business and trading hub in South East Asia. In fact as far as places go to work in Asian capitals, Singapore offers well paid jobs, 10% income tax and a great location for exploring the rest of Asia and for living a very comfortable if not a tad humid. It reminds me of a greener, more advanced version of Dubai where ex-pats come to work, make some money and leave. Slightly transient, but a bit like Brussels in that respect, but without the fraudulently high taxes we pay. I could work there if the opportunity arose and fantastic food and shopping for all.



I visited the most fascinating museum in Singapore, the Contemporary Asian Arts Museum which gave an in-depth insight to not only the art but the culture and religions of Asia. A huge colonial building with many large rooms and several floors depicting the different religions such as Hindu, Islam and Buddhism. I learnt a lot about their beliefs, cultures, gods and of course their art and culture. I took some pictures (albeit illegally) of some of the beautiful sculptures and artifacts. i have added a couple of pictures from both the Hindu and Buddhist religions. I hope you like them.

I also visited the Singapore zoo (i was about to write prison ooops). I have mixed feelings about zoos as may some of you. On the one hand we are trying to conserve a species or animal on the verge of extinction, of which there are now so many. So many in fact that it's unprecedented in humans history on earth (aside from ice ages). When I looked closely at the animals I could tell some were very sad, mentally, emotionally and possibly physically. But what to do. I did see these amazing White Tigers of which i read there are only a few hundred left in the wild. They lay there on their rocks looking dormant and lethargic, but such magnificent creatures. The children loved it, helping feed some of the animals at feeding time. A great experience for them.

I met up with some good old friends such as Brian, Osman and Chloe which was fun. I did find Singapore expensive though, i guess you just have to know where to drink or eat but if you go to the fun and busy central Circle quay area be prepared to spend some money. Oh and don't come on a travellers budget!

Visiting Singapore on my way to Indonesia was always going to be a whistle stop tour but i am glad i visited the city and would definitely go back again, both for work opportunities, to see my friends and do some serious shopping at the many AC malls. Well its off to Indonesia now of which i am really excited about.


Well its off to Indonesia now of which i am really excited about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Luke, I trust all is fine. I'm just back from vacation catching up on your stories from July and waiting to read about your trip in Indonesia. Cheers, Rozemarijn